Visas for South Africans travelling to the United States

Visas for South Africans travelling to the United States
Visas for South Africans travelling to the United States

Intergate, in conjunction with our travel visa partner, offers a bespoke United States (US) visa service that provides advice, compilation of the application, submission and return.

Who needs a United States (US) Visa?

All visitors to the United States, except for Canadian and Mexican passport holders, require either a travel authorization or a visa to enter the country. For South Africans we are required to obtain a travel visa.

How does a United States (US) visa work?

A United States (US) Visa provides the holder with permission to travel and stay in the United States for a specific reason and for a specific period of time. It does not provide you with any rights to live or work in United States (US).

What types of United States (US) visas are there?

There are two types of United States (US) visas:

  1. United States (US)Tourist Visa class (B2)This type of visa is commonly known as “visitor for pleasure” visas even though they also cover people entering the country for health reasons, visiting relatives, and to participate in short study courses as well as those entering as tourists.Tourist class visas are issued for a duration of between 1 and 10 years and allow the individual to make multiple entries during this period. Each visit can be for a duration of up to 6 months (extensions of up to 6 months can also be applied for) but the tourist visa grants no rights for the person to stay or seek work in the United Sates and a clear intention of the applicant ‘returning home’ should be shown.
  2. United States (US) Business Class (B1)Commonly known as a visitor for business visa this allows the individual to gain entry into the United States (US) for a period of up to 6 months. The business visa is however valid for anywhere between 1 and 10 years, during which time multiple entries may be made.Please note that applications for business visas are to temporarily enter the USA in order to conduct a variety of business based activities, but the are not authorisation to engage in actual gainful employment.

Business and Tourist Visa class criteria

In assessing applications for both tourist visas and business visas a great emphasis is placed upon insuring that the the applicant has no intention of giving up their home country residence and that there is sufficient means to support themselves during their stay as well as being able to leave the USA upon expiry of the visa.

Proof of the applicants intention to return home can include evidence of family ties, property ownership, employment or any other evidence that indicates the applicant is irrevocably linked to their own country.

How do I apply for my United States (US) visa?

A United States (US) Visa is applied for at the Embassy or Consulate of the United States (US) or at a visa application centre. Intergate, in conjunction with SATravelbug, offers you a hassle free United States (US) visa service.

Please note that applications for a United States (US) Visa must be made prior to travelling.

Do I have to go in person to submit my United States (US) visa application?

Yes, you are required to go in person due the bio-metrics that are carried out. However we are able to arrange for pick up on your behalf.

Do I have pick up the visa in person?

Generally no – we will obtain the submission receipt you are provided on submitting your Schengen visa application form you and pick up your visa on your behalf.

How long will it take?

In general a visa application takes about 5 – 15 working days but it should be remembered that timing and acceptance or rejection is at the discretion of the particular United States consulate or embassy. It is always good advice to apply well in advance.

How long will my visa be valid for?

A United States (US) Visa allows the holder to travel freely within the USA countries for a maximum stay of up to 6 months. The visa may be issued for a period of between 1 and 10 years.

    To contact our experts please use the form below:

    Your Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Phone (required)

    Visa required for which country? (required)

    Date of departure from SA (required)

    Current Location (required)

    Your Message