Planning your big move to South Africa ahead of time is going to benefit you and your family in many ways. For one it will definitely help you to feel more in control and at ease. Moving to another country with your family is such a big step, that it is easy to become scatterbrained. Creating a checklist for your move to South Africa is key to staying ahead.
Although there are tons of things which you will need, here is a basic recommended checklist for your move to South Africa
- Make sure your passports are valid.
- Ensure that your passports are all up to date.
- It may be a good idea to renew your passport in your home country, as it will be easier renewing it there than in SA.
- Try to renew all passports before leaving.
- Ensure that you apply for an international driver’s license before you leave your home country.
- Make sure that your current driver’s license is up to date.
- Make sure that you have up to date copies of all your medical records.
- Ensure that all medical conditions are documented.
- All treatment and medications which you will need have got to be properly subscribed for in advance.
- Make copies of everything.
- A checklist for your move to South Africa should definitely include knowing everything that there is to know about the South African schooling system.
- You will need to do your homework well in advance with regard to the different schools on offer.
- In South Africa health insurance, which is known as medical aid is extremely important.
- If you do not have medical aid you will have to make use of the government facilities which can be extremely tiresome. There are known to be very long waiting periods and some people will have to wait months on end to be seen by a specialist.
Phone and internet
- The phone company for the internet and home phones is Telkom.
- You can also look into different internet service providers to use. This is in addition to the different cellphone companies available. Be prepared in advance and learn the system carefully.
Buying a car
- The public transport system in South Africa can be unreliable.
- It is going to be within your best interest to look into buying a car. In order to buy a car you will need to register your car at the traffic department and get all your paperwork up to date.
- A checklist for your move to South Africa should definitely include looking into household insurance.
- In South Africa it is important to insure your household goods and your belongings. Car insurance is also extremely important and should not be taken for granted.
I need help with my visa or permit
We welcome the opportunity to consult with you as to your eligibility for a visa /permit and answer any questions you may have with no obligation. You can take our free one minute assessment here or request a call back for more information.