Getting married is one of the best life events that can ever happen to you. It is the ultimate commitment to your partner. Getting married in South Africa entails certain legal requirements in order to ensure that your marriage is valid in the eyes of the law.
Today we will be discussing some valuable information with regard to getting married in South Africa.
What documents are required for getting married in South Africa?
The documents required are:
- A copy of your ID.
- Two witnesses & their IDs or passport (if they are a foreign nationals)
- Your IDs or passport (if you are a foreign national)
- Divorce order, if applicable
- Death certificate, if applicable, in cases of a deceased spouse.
What if both parties are not South African?
If one of you or both of you are not South African, you will be required to undergo a brief interview, with an immigration officer at the Department of Home affairs.
This is done in order to ensure that the marriage is sincere and that the marriage is not taking place for reasons other than love.
Is there a waiting period for foreigners who wish to get married in South Africa?
The simple answer is ‘no’. When it comes to foreigners getting married in South Africa, no waiting period is required. You can literally get married on the day that you arrive.
Do I have to get married on a certain day or time?
The good news is that in South Africa you are entitled by law to get married on any day of the week or weekend. You can also get married at any time of the day.
What happens with regard to the wife’s surname?
When it comes to getting married in South Africa, there are options available. The wife has the option of either keeping her surname, joining her name with her husband (double barrel) or alternatively assuming her husband’s surname.
I need more information about getting married in South Africa
If you would like to find out more about getting married in South Africa, the options available to you or anything immigration related, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
You can reach one of our Cape Town agents at +27 (0) 21 424 2460. If you’re in Johannesburg, give our office a call on +27 (0) 11 234 4275. Alternatively if you prefer for us to call you, then all you need do is request a call back. It is as simple as that.
Incoming search terms:
- Wat do u need to get married to àn non citizen wife in South Africa
- what happens if u are a foreigner married to South African
- marriage requirements for foreigners in south africa
- Marriage requirements for foreign national and South African in home affairs
- if you marry in Sa what is need to have Id
- if l ned to marry in SA what do l have to do
- hw to marry aforegn
- hw can a foreigner marry south african
- How u get married to fornear in rsa
- getting married in south africa immigration