Learn More About The General Work Permit for South Africa

General work permit for South Africa
General work permit for South Africa

If you are considering working in South Africa, then you have come to the right place. Intergate Immigration has many years of experience; helping people from all over the world successfully obtain working visas for South Africa. Today we would like to help you learn more about the general work permit for South Africa.

What are the requirements for obtaining a general work permit for South Africa?

In order to successfully obtain a general work permit for South Africa, it is essential for you to have the following paperwork in order:

  • SAQA application.
  • A full police clearance.
  • Proof of job advertisement.
  • Your contract of employment.
  • Proof of good health.
  • Registration with the appropriate professional body.
  • Personal information and documentation.
  • A duly completed application form as per the submitting embassy, consulate or Department of Home Affairs office.

Read more about the requirements here.

Am I allowed to start working before I receive my general work permit for South Africa?

Unfortunately you will not be allowed to work before you receive your general work permit for South Africa.

Can I apply for permanent residency with a South African work permit?

In order to be eligible for permanent residency, you must have maintained temporary residency for 5 years. This means that you were employed in an appropriate job in South Africa for 5 consecutive years.

What about my family?

Partners and dependents can accompany holders of work visas. Please note partners are not allowed to study, work or run a business, they are simply allowed only to accompany and stay in South Africa.

Please also note that partners may not be included in permanent residency applications but may themselves apply at a later time dependent on their relationships with the permanent resident.

What about my children attending school?

Dependent children can attend a South African school but need to first obtain a study visa.

Do I have to use an immigration company?

No, but employing the services of an experienced immigration company is going to help you in many ways. Not only is it going to help you increase your chances of success but it is also going to help relieve some of the stress and uncertainty.

More questions?

If you still have questions about the general work permit, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can either email us or call us:

  • Cape Town: +27 (0) 21 424 2460
  • Johannesburg: +27 (0) 11 234 4275

On the other hand, if you’re ready to get started, take our free assessment. Once we’ve received your details, a consultant will contact you to discuss your eligibility for a general work visa.