Registering A Birth In South Africa

Registering a birth in South Africa
Registering a birth in South Africa

Registering a birth in South Africa may seem pretty straight forward. However with the recent permanent residency changes, there is vital information that you should know.

Today we will simplify the process of registering a birth in South Africa for you and incorporate the recent rules.

When do I need to register my baby in South Africa?

You will need to register the birth within 30 days.

How do the recent changes affect registering a birth in South Africa?

Previously children who were born to permanent residency holders were granted citizenship by virtue of the fact that their parents were South African. This was reflected in their birth certificates where they were given an ID number.

As from October 2015 this is no longer the case. The law now states:

“Any person born in the Republic of parents who have been admitted into the Republic for permanent residence and who is not a South African citizen, qualifies to be a South African citizen by birth, if:

  • He or she has lived in the Republic from the date of his or her birth to the date of becoming a major; and
  • His or her birth is registered in the Republic in accordance with the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1992 (Act No. 51 of 1992).

What visa must we make an application for?

The child will need to apply for temporary residency, probably under the relative’s category, unless they are older children and are studying. In addition, an application for permanent residency must be made.

When can my child become a citizen?

Reading the act amendments, the child will need to have resided in South Africa from birth until the age of 18 and have the appropriate birth registrations.

What about children born before the new regulations?

The birth must be registered and you must have a birth certificate with an ID number on it to be in compliance with the act.

When do I get the birth certificate?

Usually a day or so after the registration application has been submitted.

What do I need to register my baby?

A parent, parents, guardian or any other person legally responsible for the child must:

  • Complete and submit Form BI-24 (with black ink only), available at the DHA office.
  • Bring your ID along.
  • Bring a copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable).

I want to find out more about registering a birth in South Africa

At Intergate our professional consultants are here to answer all of your questions and will be able to guide you through the process. The good news is that many of our consultants are also expats who not only truly understand the process from a technical standpoint, but who also have gone through it themselves.

Should you wish to speak to one of consultants then feel free to request a call back for more information.