Renewing your visa is probably the last thing you want to think about! It is necessary, however, if you’d like to continue your studies next year.
Below we’ll answer 3 critical questions around student visa renewals:
- What are the requirements?
- When do I need to apply?
- Where should I apply?
What are the requirements for a renewal?
The requirements for a South African student visa renewal is the same as for a first-time application. Here’s a reminder of the main criteria:
- Your studies must be a full-time course. South African student visas are not issued for part-time courses, correspondence courses or distance learning courses.
- The educational institution must be registered with the South African Board of Education in South Africa by the Department of Home Affairs or the relevant South African High Commission or Embassy.
- An official letter of acceptance from the university, college or similar tertiary learning institution.
- You must have proof of South African Registered Medical Insurance. The Department of Home Affairs does not accept international or foreign medical insurances for student visa applications.
- Proof of sufficient financial means to support yourself for the duration of your visa. While you may work on a student visa, you may not rely on this income to support yourself.
When do I need to apply?
South African visa renewal applications must be submitted no later than 60 days prior to the expiry of the existing visa.
Our advice? Submit your application well in time. There is saying how long the Department of Home Affairs may take to process your application. Thus submitting 60 days before your visa expires or even earlier is the best course of action.
Where should I apply?
As you’re already in South Africa on a valid visa, you may make your renewal application from within South Africa.
Getting help with your South African student visa renewal
Would you like to let a professional handle your application so that you can concentrate on exams? Then you should contact us. Our immigration experts handle hundreds of visa renewals each month.
You can either speak to the immigration consultant who helped with your original application if you have been a client of ours or contact us via:
- Telephone: +27 (0) 21 424 2460 (Cape Town) / +27 (0) 11 234 4275 (Johannesburg)
Alternatively, send us a call back request and an immigration consultant will contact you instead.
Whichever way you choose to get in touch, remember to do it well in time. You’ll spare yourself a lot of unnecessary stress.