Pandor said that South Africa did not produce enough graduate engineers which is worrying, as good engineering made an important contribution to social welfare.
She also stated that despite the high number of students enrolling in engineering each year, South Africa only produces approximately 1 500 engineering graduates yearly – of which only about half go on to practice engineering.
Pandor further noted that according to a study by the South African Institute of Civil Engineering, South Africa had fewer engineers than doctors.
“The shortage of engineering professionals means that we don’t have enough practitioners available for ongoing work. And that work that requires engineering decisions is being done without competent engineering input,” she said.
Are you a qualified engineer interested in immigrating to South Africa?
South Africa is in dire need of qualified engineers, and Intergate is ready to assist you with your application.
The critical skills work visa aims to attract certain skills that are lacking in the South African work force from abroad.
It is different from other work visas as the critical skills visa application is not based on whether the applicant has a job offer. It is based on how your educational qualification will benefit a specific skill shortage in South Africa.
Another perk of the critical skills visa is that it allows you to enter and stay in South Africa for 12 months to secure a position.
The critical skills visa is usually issued for a period of 5 years, and once this 5 year period is over you may apply for permanent residence.
Applicants that already have 5 years’ experience in the engineering field may apply for permanent residence immediately.
Please keep in mind that when applying for a critical skills work visa you will need to show that you fall within the critical skills category you are making the application under. Proof of this includes:
- A certificate from the professional body, council, or board recognised by SAQA or any relevant government Department confirming the skills or qualifications of the applicant
- An evaluation of the foreign qualification by SAQA and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of South Africa
- Proof of your application for registration with the professional body, council or board
Free consultation for engineering professionals for a critical skills visa
Established in 2006 and having successfully processed over 6000 visa applications, Intergate are ideally placed to assist you in establishing your eligibility for a critical skills visa.
Incoming search terms:
- shortage of engineers in south africa
- how many qualified engineers in south africa
- shortage of engineers in sa
- Civil Engineering
- in civil engineering how many engineers are black
- why are we losing engineers in south africa
- how many chemical Engineers are in south Africa
- engineering skill shortage in south africa
- do we have many engineers is south africa
- chemical engineers blog in South Africa