The Department of Home Affairs Role

The Department of Home Affairs Role
The Department of Home Affairs Role

The Department of Home Affairs for South Africa offers immigration services for foreigners that wish to Intergate Immigration are registered with the Department of Home Affairs as Immigration Practitioners apply for a permit or visa to for both visiting or immigrating to South Africa, as well as civic services for the citizens of South Africa.

Dealing with the Department of Home Affairs can be frustrating, time consuming and at times enraging.

Criteria can change with little or no notice, processes altered and feedback hard to by. For many applicants the rules and application process is very complex and the time commitment required to research, compile and submit and application is prohibitive.

Our aim at Intergate is to ensure our years of experience, with over thousands of successful applications, is put to use by providing you with a cost effective, timeous and stress free process.

What is the connection of Intergate Immigration Service to the Department of Home Affairs?

The Department of Home Affairs is the body that registers professional immigration practitioners. These immigration practitioners are in turn provided by their clients with power of attorneys, to allow them to compile, submit and monitor their visa applications.

Intergate Immigration are registered immigration practitioners and as such can be mandated by clients to consult, compile, submit and chase permit and visa applications on a world wide basis. In order to be registered as an Immigration practitioner, Intergate Immigration meets the eligibility criteria that includes:

  • Provision to home affairs of a police clearance certificate
  • Adherence to the home affairs code of conduct for immigration practitioners
  • Successfully completing the immigration exams as laid down by the Director–General of Home Affairs South Africa.

Clients that choose to utilise the services of an immigration company should ensure that they deal with an organisation that has registered immigration practitioners.

As a prospective immigrant what does the Department of Home Affairs do?

The Department of Home Affairs looks after Immigration Permits, Visa’s, Residency and Citizenship Services These services apply to: Those who visit South African for a holiday, business purposes or medical trips.

  • Work seekers and workers.
  • Non nationals who wish to study in South Africa.
  • Applicants who are married or who are partners of South African citizens.
  • Retirees.
  • Business entrepreneurs.

Although The Department of Home Affairs acknowledges on its website its role in the delivery of these services it makes very clear that the successful outcome of any permit or visa application does not rely solely on their efforts. Visa and permit application are very much a combination of the quality of the application and the departments processing efforts.

Key is supplying them with the correct application, the correct documentation and delivering such to the correct service points. In essence the prospective immigrant, or indeed their appointed immigration company, needs to ensure:

  • Their permit, visa or residency application is in the correct category – (work visa, business visa, retired visa, study visa, spousal visa, life partner visa, relatives visa).
  • The correct visa application is completed along with all the appropriate documentation.
  • That submission is made at the correct Department of Home Affairs, consulate or embassy.

Using Intergate Immigration

In utilising the services of Intergate Immigration your contact with the Department of Home Affairs is kept to a minimum. We are able to assist with all permit and visa applications for both corporates and individuals. Further we have to date submitted applications in over 40 countries around the world and are able to make submissions on a worldwide basis.

Getting help with your visa or permit application

We welcome the opportunity to consult with you as to your eligibility for a visa /permit and answer any questions you may have with no obligation.

You can take our free one minute assessment here or request a call back for more information. Or simply call us at +27 (0)21 424 2460.

Alternatively you can fill out the below online enquiry form to contact us.


First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Language *

Country Of Residence *

What Visa would you apply for? *

Where in SA would you move to? *

Comments *