Estate agents in Cape Town more often than not play a dual role. Estate Agents are typically contracted to market property that is for sale, to achieve the best possible price, terms and conditions on behalf of the seller. The other role estate agents play is often that of advising the buyer of the property, in effect working for both parties.
This can be a disadvantage to the buyer as the estate agent’s first call of loyalty is to the seller.
So how can the buyer be sure they getting the best possible advice and price?
Many countries now operate with estate agents and buyers/property consultants. This approach means professional representation for both the seller and the buyer.
More and more estate agents in Cape Town now work with buyers consultants as the buyers seek their own independent expertise.
What’s the main difference between a Cape Town estate agent and a buyer’s consultant?
The buyers consultant differs from the estate agent in a number of ways:
- Buyers consultants do not market properties (as Estate Agents do) and therefore do not act for the seller’s interest at all.
- As they are contracted by the buyer, they represent the buyer’s best interests and professionally negotiate the best terms and conditions for the buyer.
- Estate agents will tend to only show you property that they have been mandated to sell; this can reduce a prospective buyer’s choice. A buyer’s agent may access all the properties on the marketplace including ‘off market’ properties.
- Estate agents are obliged to get the best possible terms and price for their client – the seller of the property, consultants are to get the best possible price and terms for the buyers – often resulting in a reduction on the property price, meaning the buyer can save considerable amounts of money.
Should everyone use a buyer’s consultant?
What does a buyer’s consultant charge?
For individual estate agents please see below:
- SA Homebuyers – www.sahomebuyers.co.za – Camps Bay, Hout Bay, Constantia, Noordhoek, Durbanville, Waterfront, Franshoek
- Pam Golding Estate Agents (a member of Savills International) – www.pamgolding.co.za
- Lew Geffen / Sotheby’s Estate Agents – www.sothebysrealty.co.za
- Seeff Properties Estate Agents – www.seeff.com
- Anne Porter Estate Agents – www.annieporter.co.za
- Greeff Properties Estate Agents – www.greeff.com
- Durr Estate Agents – www.durrstates.co.za
- Engel & Volkers Estate Agents – www.engelvoelkers.co.za
- Churchill Murray Estate Agents – www.churchillmurray.co.za
- Chas Everitt Estate Agents – www.chaseveritt.com
- Pam Sorrell Estate Agents – www.pamsorel.co.za
- Jawitz Estate Agents – www.jawitz.co.za
- Remax Estate Agents – www.remax.co.za
- Steenberg Golf Estate Property Sales – www.steenbergproperty.com