These occupations are in areas with scarce, critical and special skills and in industries that help grow and sustain the South African economy.
Who decides the occupations on the critical skills list?
It’s not just any occupation that can go on the critical skills list. The Department of Home Affairs consult with the Department of Labour and the Department of Trade, Industry and Competition to identify areas of need and only then is the critical skills list drawn up.
The current critical skills list was published on 2 February 2022.
How does the DHA define a ‘critical skill’?
A critical skill, for the purpose of immigration, can be defined as a skill that is not easily sourced from local South African labour. Sourcing and employing foreigners to fill the gaps provides a workable solution that aid both South African employers and South Africa’s economy.
What occupations appear on the critical skills list?
As mentioned, there are 101 occupations on the South African critical skills list. These occupations are in industries ranging from engineering and IT to education and business process outsourcing.
Here are 10 examples of occupations that appear on the critical skills list:
- Industrial Engineer
- Biomedical Engineer
- Engineering Manager
- ICT Systems Analyst
- Multimedia Specialist
- University Lecturer – Senior Lecturer and above for only specified CESM categories
- FET Phase School Teacher (Grades 10 – 12) – Only for STEM subjects
- Senior Phase School Teacher (Grades 8 – 9) – Only for STEM subjects
- Inbound Contact Centre Consultant (with first language speaking and translating capabilities in German, Swiss German, Flemish, Greek, Swedish, Danish, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Mandarin and French)
- Outbound Contact Centre Consultant (with first language speaking and translating capabilities in German, Swiss German, Flemish, Greek, Swedish, Danish, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Mandarin and French)
Which work visa do you apply for if your occupation is on the critical skills list?
If your occupation is on the critical skills list, you’ll be eligible to apply for a critical skills work visa.
You must have a job offer to apply for a critical skills work visa. You’ll also have to demonstrate to Home Affairs that you have the right qualifications and experience.
The big benefit of the critical skills work visa is that you can apply for permanent residency straight away if you have 5 years of of relevant work experience at the time of your work visa application. This work experience can be from overseas or from working in South Africa.
Make the critical skills list work for you!
Is it your goal to live and work in South Africa? Then why don’t you contact us to see if you qualify for a critical skills visa? You can take our online eligibility assessment – it’s free – or call us on 021 424 2460. Your telephone consultation is also free!
Since our inception in 2005, Intergate has processed more than 40,000 visa and visa related queries. You can rest assured that you’re in good hands!