Are you married to a South African spouse and wishing to immigrate to South Africa, below we provide you with the South African spousal visa requirements.
If you are in a life time relationship with a South African partner but not married please see here for details on Life Partner visas.
If you wish to contact one of our immigration consultants to discuss your personal situation you can either email us here or contact us on + 27 (0) 21 424 2460.
What is a Spousal Visa?
A spousal visa is application to join a South African Citizen or permanent residence holder in South Africa on a temporary visa, normally for 2 or 3 years.
The South African Spousal Visa requirements
- Your spouse needs to be either a South African citizen or permanent resident.
- To obtain Permanent residency you will need to apply for a South African Spousal Permit and this requires you to have been married for a period of 5 years or more to qualify.
- Applications for a temporary spousal visa do not have any minimum period that you need to have been married for.
- Proof required within a South African spousal visa application includes:
- A marriage certificate.
- Proof of your South African spouses citizenship or residence.
- A letter of support from your South African spouse.
- Proof of good health and standing.
- A completed temporary residency application form.
Other points to note
- The South African spousal visa requirements apply to both same sex and hetro-sexual relationships.
- The spousal visa only allows you to enter and stay in South Africa, use the links below to find out about an endorsement to your spousal visa that enables you to:
- Work on a spousal visa
- Study on a spousal visa
- Set up and run a business on a spousal visa
- If you intend to work there is no requirement for your prospective employer to show proof they have tried to recruit a South African.
- If your intention is to set up a business there is no minimum investment amount requirements nor a need to recruit a certain amount of South Africans.
- Even if you qualify for permanent residence (spousal permit) you may still wish to apply for temporary residence. Permanent residence applications can take up to two years (in extreme cases longer).
Find out more about the South African spousal visa requirements
Consultations are free of charge and carry no obligation. We have been assisting South Africans to bring their spouses ‘back home’ since 2006 and boast of in excess of 6000 successful visa applications. We have dedicated specialists in spousal visa applications both in Cape Town and Johannesburg and frequently hold free consultations in London and Holland.
To discuss the South African spousal visa requirements and how they apply to your circumstances simply select your preferred method of communication or use our live chat feature.
Getting help with your visa or permit application
We welcome the opportunity to consult with you as to your eligibility for a visa /permit and answer any questions you may have with no obligation.
You can take our free one minute assessment here or request a call back for more information. Or simply call us at +27 (0)21 424 2460.
Alternatively you can fill out the below online enquiry form to contact us.