South Africa has state of the art medical specialists and facilities, some of which are among the best in the world. It is therefore no surprise that foreigners may come to South Africa for the purpose of medical treatments.
Due to the excellent exchange rate which is another factor which comes into play, medical permits for South Africa are extremely popular. Today we would like to share with you some valuable and useful information with regard to medical permits for South Africa.
What is a medical permit?
Firstly for the sake of clarity it is important to understand that it is commonly referred to as ‘medical treatment visas‘. Medical permits for South Africa are issued to foreigners who are intending to visit the country for the purpose of undergoing medical treatment.
What are the most requirements for a medical permit?
- A letter from your registered medical practitioner or medical institution within South Africa, confirming:
- That space is available at the medical institution for your continued treatment.
- The estimated costs of the continued treatment.
- The treatment schedule and period.
- Details of the continued treatment.
- The details of, and confirmation by, the person or institution responsible for the medical expenses and hospital fees. Where a medical scheme or employer is not liable for the expenses incurred, you must prove that funds are available to cover medical costs.
- The personal details of any person or persons accompanying you.
Are you allowed to work while you on medical permits for South Africa?
The answer is no, you are not allowed to work at all on a medical permit. You are also not entitled to apply for work while you are in South Africa on medical permit.
How do I prove that I have funds available to support myself?
You will need to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself financially during your stay in the country. The proof of these funds needs to be submitted with your visa application.
Getting help with your visa or permit application
We welcome the opportunity to consult with you as to your eligibility for a visa or permit and answer any questions you may have with no obligation.
You can take our free one minute assessment here or request a call back for more information. Or simply call us at +27 (0) 21 424 2460