Endorsing a Life Partner Permit

Endorsing a Life Partner Permit
Endorsing a Life Partner Permit

Please note the below information on endorsing a life partner permit applies to life partner permits that were issued under the new Immigration rules as of June 2014 and new applications.

These new regulations saw a change in how life partner permits were named:

  • A permit is now for permanent residence.
  • A visa is for temporary residence.

Who needs to endorse a life partner permit?

Key here is your status as either a permanent resident or temporary resident.

  • Permanent residence holders (or applicants) needs not apply for an endorsement and are free to conduct business, work or study activities with no further permissions from the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Temporary residence holders, or applicants, (now known as a life partner visa) will need their life partner visa endorsed.


  • If you are making a life partner permit application (permanent residence) you do need to concern yourself with endorsing your life partner permit and are free to carry on your chosen activity with no further permissions when it is granted.
  • If you have a life partner permit or visa on a temporary residence basis you will need an endorsement.
    • Find out more information on endorsing the ‘old life’ partner permit here.
    • Find out more information on endorsing the ‘new’ life partner visa.

Find out more about endorsing a life partner permit

Intergate has been at the forefront of assisting South Africans and their partners return to South Africa since 2006.

If you are already in South Africa feel free to visit us at 199 Loop Street, Second Floor, Cape Town or Block D – Second Floor, Edenburg Terraces, 348 Rivonia Boulevard, Johannesburg and chat over a coffee. Alternatively try our instant chat facility or one of the below options.

Getting help with your visa or permit application

We welcome the opportunity to consult with you as to your eligibility for a visa /permit and answer any questions you may have with no obligation.

You can take our free one minute assessment here or request a call back for more information. Or simply call us at +27 (0)21 424 2460.

Alternatively you can fill out the below online enquiry form to contact us.


First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Language *

Country Of Residence *

What Visa would you apply for? *

Where in SA would you move to? *

Comments *