Life Partner Permits South Africa

Life Partner Permits South Africa
Life Partner Permits South Africa

Life partner permits and / or visas are issued to foreigners who are immigrating to South Africa with a South African boyfriend or girlfriend (life partner) with whom they are in a permanent relationship.

Life partner permits and visas are not commonly known and accessing information about them can be difficult, but qualifying people should look to ensure they consider applying within the life partner permit or visa category as it can have some excellent benefits.

Below we discuss both the life partner permit for permanent residence, and the life partner visa for temporary residence. You can find more specific information on each by simply following the links or in further information.

The Life Partner Permit and Visa Options

To successfully apply for a life partner permit or visa there are a number of different criteria the applicants must meet. Perhaps the most onerous being the compiling of sufficient ‘evidence’ that the relationship is indeed of a permanent nature and it is one of a ‘life partner’ status.

Proving cohabitation is also a key element as the length of cohabitation will dictate whether you may qualify for a life partner permit (permanent residence) or a life partner visa (temporary residence).

As South Africa’s leading independent immigration company, Intergate Immigration advises, compiles, submits with you and monitors the entire application on its client’s behalf. Our years of experience and enviable success rate in obtaining life partner permits and visas, means that our clients can rest assured that they are in expert hands.

Life Partner Visa- Temporary Residence

Life partners of South Africans may apply for a life partner visa under the temporary residence category. Once again there is an onus on proving the relationship is valid, of a permanent nature and in this case, that cohabitation has existed for at least 2 years.

Temporary residence visas are issued for an initial period, typically for 2 or 3 years. Applications can be made to extend this period subject to the relationship still existing.

Life Partner Permits – Permanent Residence

Life partner permits under the permanent residence category can be made if it can be proven that the relationship has been of a permanent nature for 5 years.

Prospective immigrants should be aware that even if they meet the criteria to make an application for a life partner under the permanent category, in all likelihood a temporary life partner visa will need to be applied for due to the fact home affairs is taking approximately 24 months to issue permanent residence to applicants.

Life Partner Permits – Working or Setting up a Business

For holders of life partner permits the news is excellent – you are free to work, set up a business or study with no further permissions!

For the holders of a life partner visa the news is good – whilst the life partner visa itself only allows you to enter and stay in South Africa, an endorsement can easily be obtained, allowing you to work, study or set up a business.

Endorsing your life partner visa

For work – once a suitable position has been found and offered via a contract of employment, Intergate Immigration can apply for an endorsement to the life partner visa enabling the life partner to work, This negates the need to apply for a work permit or the requirements such as proving no South African is available to take up the position.

For business – a similar endorsement can be applied for with the immigrant needing to prove that the business exists, this can be done by providing documentary proof that a suitable company structure has been set up, such as a (Pty) Ltd for example. Intergate Immigration will be pleased to assist you in this regard.

For study – once you have been excepted for a course by an appropriate learning institution, an endorsement can be applied for to enable you to legally study.

It should be noted that applications for life partner visa and endorsements can be made simultaneously.


Life partner permits and visas can be a complex area and the burden of proof on the relationship is one key element. We welcome any queries you may have and our free and no obligation consultation can be taken advantage of by using any of the below contact methods.

Getting help with your visa or permit application

We welcome the opportunity to consult with you as to your eligibility for a visa /permit and answer any questions you may have with no obligation.

You can take our free one minute assessment here or request a call back for more information. Or simply call us at +27 (0)21 424 2460.

Alternatively you can fill out the below online enquiry form to contact us.


First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Language *

Country Of Residence *

What Visa would you apply for? *

Where in SA would you move to? *

Comments *