Relatives permit / visa for immigration to South Africa

Relatives permit visa for immigration to South Africa
Relatives permit visa for immigration to South Africa

Considering immigration to South Africa and have relatives already here? Below we discuss the relatives permit / visa option, how to apply and who qualifies.

If you are first kin you can view here for details specific to relatives permits and permanent residency.

If you are second kin you can view here for details specific to the relatives visa and temporary residency.

We appreciate that researching information on the internet is not for everyone so if prefer the human touch please feel free to take advantage of our free relatives permit consultation by either calling us on the above numbers or requesting a call back here.

Who can apply for a relatives permit?

In order to successfully apply for a relatives permits / visa you will need to be either a first kin or second kin relative of either a South African citizen or permanent residence holder.

First kin relatives may apply for both temporary residence and permanent residence, known as a relatives visa and relatives permit, whereas second kin may only apply for temporary residence, the relatives visa.

What are first kin and second kin relatives?

  • First kin relatives are those of a parent, child or husband/wife relationship.
  • Second kin relatives are brothers and sisters.

Can you work on a relatives permit / visa?

This will depend on whether you apply and receive the relatives visa (temporary residence) or the relatives permit (permanent residence)

The relatives visa

A temporary relatives visa does not allow for the holder to work or run a business. It simply allows the holder to be able to immigrate to South Africa for a set period of time, normally 2 years, and not undertake any other activities. In essence almost akin to a long term tourist visa.

If you would like more information on working or running a business in South Africa as an immigrant you can use the below links:

More information on work permits / visa

More information on business permits / visa

The relatives permit

Those successful applicants for a relatives permit, are afforded nearly all the rights of a South African citizen as they are awarded permanent residence. Permanent residence allows you total freedom to work, study or own and work in businesses as you please.

Can a temporary relatives visa be renewed?

Yes they can, but in practice renewing a temporary relatives visa is the same as applying for a new one and the applicant must meet all the current criteria for the visa application to be successful.

How long does permanent residency – relatives permit take?

The Department of Home Affairs publishes time scales but in reality these are often not adhered to. Experience in submitting many relatives permit applications has shown us that you can wait for up to 2 years before they are issued.

As many people do not plan their immigration 2 years in advance, it is often the case that we have to apply for both temporary and permanent residency under the relatives category to fit in with peoples immigration timetables.

Must I be sponsored by my South African relative?

There is a requirement for a financial assurance in the amount of R8500 per month, per person. This financial assurance must be from the sponsor (South African relative).

What is needed for a relatives permit application?

The applicant will be required to furnish the following documentation in addition to the duly completed application form:

  • Their passport which is required to have at least one blank page for the insertion of the permit / visa;
  • A yellow fever vaccination certificate, if applicable;
  • Payment of the application fee (not required where the applicant is a spouse or dependent child of a South African citizen/permanent resident);
  • A statement and/or documentation showing the purpose and duration of your visit (temporary residence visa applications);
  • Proof of the relatives relationship, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates etc;
  • Police clearance certificate from each country in which you resided for 12 months or longer since the age of 18 years;
  • Medical and radiology reports;
  • The ID book and / or passport that proves the South African relatives is indeed a citizen or permanent residency holder; and
  • Documentation that proves the availability of at least R8 500 per month per person for financial assurance (a waiver can be applied for spouses or dependent minor children of a South African citizen/permanent resident to waive the minimum financial requirements).

Getting help with your relatives permit or visa application

We welcome the opportunity to consult with you as to your eligibility for a relatives permit / visa and answer any questions you may have.

To ascertain whether you qualify and whether this would be the correct permit or you, please use the links below:

I would like to complete the online enquiry form

I would like to request a call back

I would like to e-mail Intergate

Further information on these pages:

Relatives permit

Relatives Permit Requirements

Making a permit application